Sunday, October 31, 2010

8a - EPrints Install


I wish I could have recorded my description of my EPrints install that I told Bethany this week. I was lucky enough to cover a shift at a different library branch and so happened I was able to meet one of my classmates.

As usual, prof. Fulton's notes are very detailed and very precise about how to install step by step. My trouble this week did not come from the installation necessarily, but in the configuration phase. The user profile I created to admin the EPrints repository was without a password. This is documented in the install guide. We were to use sudo su eprints to begin configuration in the eprints directory. Whatever commands I attempted to run, the server kept demanding a password for eprints (which didn't exist). Other students had the same problem (or just confusion?) and documented it in the technical discussion forum. I thank them for that, but where those students had epiphanies, I was still lost. I could understand that eprints is not a sudo user, but that did not solve my trouble that the server insisted on the password. Again, as usual, I decided to start over from scratch the next day to better understand each step I took. Due to luck and persistence, I side stepped the problem and continued configuration per the documentation.

Comparing visual customization against DSpace and Drupal is difficult, since I hardly changed aesthetics on those installations. I can say that swapping the EPrints logo was easy and the documentation on altering html/css in EPrints looked quite straightforward.

No comments:

Post a Comment