Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Unit 6 - DSpace Install


The DSpace install took some time. I was caught off guard by how long the Maven package took to install. I would definitely need to follow a tutorial a couple more times before I felt comfortable doing the install without step-by-step instructions.

I have to say, DSpace was much more functional "out of the box" than I remember Drupal. There was much more configuration to be done with the Drupal install, "go to site building, configure, save, go to site configuration, configure, save, go to site building, etc." DSpace was ready to go with Dublin Core metadata prompts by default. If someone were unable or unwilling to take the time to configure Drupal with all the modules needed to function as desired, then DSpace would be the obvious choice. A user can practically just install it and start adding communities, collections, and items. The new user training units are a great resource for getting started.

Now that I have a small collection of my French lesson recordings entered, I would benefit from going back over the new user training to fill in the gaps that were a little foreign the first time through. Like Drupal, I am afraid that this software takes little time to begin using as an amateur and promises to take lots of time and energy to master. The volume contained in the DSpace Manual is intimidating or it could just be the "wall of text" that is the table of contents.

No comments:

Post a Comment